Dewalt Tough System Van racking

Chat about anything with an engine.
Rossi7x
Top Dog

Dewalt Tough System Van racking

Postby Rossi7x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Right Guys....

Due to ever increasing interest in this idea, I though we'd start a dedicated thread to How to Build one, and all the Variants that currently, and increasingly exist..

Would like to keep this on track as an informative 'How to Guide' with Q's and A's, rather than who loves it or loathes it, as there are other general Van racking threads on here for that..

Who knows.. If it gets enough 'Thumbs Up' it might even become a 'Sticky'...

So for those interested to see how simple this is to build, here we go..

The Metal tubing os 25mm Box section with 2mm walling, and it came as a total cost of £68 to do this..

Here's how the basic Sketches (and sizes) started...

This rack is for 3 rows, of 4 boxes high (DS400 on the floor, 1 x DS300 above and 2 x DS150's above that)

Last edited by Rossi7x on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossi7x
DEWALT Official Product Tester..

Rossi7x
Top Dog

Re: Dewalt Tough System Van racking

Postby Rossi7x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:26 pm

All 'Tube laid out ready for Tack welding..

You will notice that there is a 'Double vertical ' Tube on the ends of the racks and also vertically at intervals as per the original sketch.. The one's in the centres are to create the 'Minimal' gap required to keep the boxes close enough together so as not to waste space, but far enough apart to give the minimal space required to lift the locking handle on the boxes..

The 2 pairs of vertical bars on the racking extremities are purely for the Dewalt folding arms (inner bar), and to 'dress' some ply on to hang the Dewalt trestles (all will become apparent as the build goes on) on the outer bar.

Once tacked and Squared, all welds are finalised and smoothed for powder coat..

Last edited by Rossi7x on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossi7x

Rossi7x
Top Dog

Postby Rossi7x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 pm

A top rail was welded and fitted according to whatever Angle is required for your own particular Van, with M12 holes drilled to suit...

Bolt Holes drilled..

Rear of it is shaped to take the 'slope at the Back and of a T5...

Foot plates are welded to the 2 outer 'Long' legs of the rack

Time spent smoothing and linishing welds makes for a better Powder Finish...

Rossi7x

Rossi7x
Top Dog

Postby Rossi7x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Back of a T5 before any racking was fitted... Pretty much an empty space where you'd only general use the floor-space...

Before test fitting, back of Rack was drilled with numerous holes (at Inch Centres) to suit varying box heights. Multi drilling at this stage is a pain, but future proofs the racking for every eventuality...

Even on the Centre tube, the same drilling was done..

You might notice that on a couple of the down tubes, they are slightly shorter than others.. This is to accommodate the wheel arch, and to enable the rack to move as close to the side of the Van as possible..

When 'Test fitting the Racking frame, holes were marked in the 'Structural' top rail of the Van, a 14mm Hole drilled to suit, and then a 'T' nut welded in to give a threaded bolt hole to enable the racking frame to be removable if necessary..

For those that have seen the Van on the Net or in person, you will know that there is a set of Wooden Shelves. These are also constructed around a metal frame work that bolts in and out to suit...

Rossi7x

Locksmithmatt
Top Dog
Location: East London / Essex. ( will work anywhere for the right job)

Postby Locksmithmatt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:53 pm

I done the same with the uprights , putting all the holes in is time consuming but that is the beauty of the racking , it can be adjusted in the future if needs be to adapt to other box sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossi7x
Top Dog

Postby Rossi7x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:56 pm

As you can see, bolting the rack in takes a bit of effort with welding the 'T-Nut' in pace, but for re-sale of the Van you could 'Plastic cap' them to hide, and in the event of the Van being sold or involved in an Accident, it can be removed very easily..

As you can see, it's a very simple frame-work to construct.. If you can't weld, then you could 'Captive Nut' and bolt, or just plain 'Nut and Bolt it together..

With all the holes drilled in the rear, it's easy to pick and choose where you want to fit what boxes..

Folding arms.. Genius Idea from Dewalt.. Full width of Van back in seconds making this kind of Racking truly unique and versatile over others..

Last edited by Rossi7x on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rossi7x

Rossi7x
Top Dog

Postby Rossi7x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Its amazing that with a little bit of Yellow flooring (wonder why it was that colour lol) a Bit of Creative Ply work and some carpeting, the build takes on a whole different level...

And remember that small spindly rack on the opposite side.. Here it is 'Clad' in Ply, complete with Dovetail to keep even the most critical woodworkers smiling...

Rossi7x

DAZ40
Top Dog

Postby DAZ40 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:26 am

That's a work of art my van never look that tidy