stanley guarantee or lack there of

Reviews of our latest products by The Tool Jury and fellow Pros
lakey206
New Boots

stanley guarantee or lack there of

Postby lakey206 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi I have been using Stanley tools for quite a few years now but must say I am very disappointed with the uk customer services, soo much so that I doubt I will ever buy Stanley again. About 10 years ago I purchased a Stanley Professional Socket Set which I was told came with a lifetime guarantee, I was very impressed with the set and the reliability of the ratchets it contained. But now both the ratchets have failed, the 3/8 drive has just fell apart and I can longer switch direction and the 1/4 drive just keep flicking to the center so is completely useless. Now as I purchased with the belief that it had a lifetime guarantee I thought I'd contact Stanley and see what they would do about these ratchets. So I emailed them and explained the situation only to get a reply to tell me that the lifetime guarantee is only valid in the USA and in the UK we only get 12 months. I paid more than I wanted to when I bought the set with the belief that I could just get the ratchets replaced should they ever break. At the time I could have bought other manufacturers socket set at around the same price which did come guaranteed for life. So please beware when buying Stanley tools that the guarantee they offer with their tools is not what you get.

dickllewellyn
Tool Jury & Moderator

Re: stanley guarantee or lack there of

Postby dickllewellyn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi Lakey. Welcome to the forum.

It's always interesting when companies offer a lifetime guarantee to see what is actually covered. It's a shame that in your case it seems you've got the rough end of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards Richard (dick) Llewellyn

Thanks for all the fish

john
Tool Jury & Moderator

Re: stanley guarantee or lack there of

Postby john » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:14 pm

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your Stanley set.

I will say that you are having a go at the wrong people by criticising UK Stanley Customer Service about it.

The people you need to address it to are those that sold it to you and told you that there was a lifetime guarantee on the product. Not the people who originally manufactured it. It sounds like the information given to you at point of sale was incorrect. That's a retailer issue not a manufacturer issue.

There would or should have been paperwork in with the original packaging that referred to the guarantee conditions. Lifetime US one year UK.

In short Stanley have honoured what their guarantee was. And the fact the sockets have lasted 10 times the one year guarantee is not bad performance to be fair.